A look back on this week’s economic development headlines, announcements, and other share-worthy news from the Ann Arbor region.
Regional News and Successes
Bank of Ann Arbor acquires First National Bank in Howell. These financial institutions have been immense supporters of regional economic development over the past several years in each community — both in terms of investment and time. Tim Marshall is the past chair of SPARK’s Executive Committee, and Ron Long is the past chair of the Economic Development Council of Livingston County.
What is your internet access like? As part of a broader initiative around understanding and hoping to expand broadband internet coverage in Washtenaw County, the Broadband Task Force asks residents to complete a survey and speed tests.
- February 11: Info session on Goldman Sach’s 10,000 Small Business Initiative, happening at Lake Trust’s headquarters in Brighton.
- February 18: Michigan Ross’ Center for Positive Organizations presents the free and open to the public Positive Links Speaker Series: Lindy Greer.
- February 20: Back Office Studio celebrates its one-year anniversary.
- February 20: New Enterprise Forum Entrepreneurship Annual Awards will present its 2019 Entrepreneur and Rising Star awards.
- U-M’s Desai Accelerator announces new endowment funding, extended program
- Ann Arbor-based FordLabs Is Ford’s Ongoing Push To Make Automotive Agile
- ProQuest launches a new product focused on data and text mining
Food for Thought
Some key takeaways from the latest Inforum 2020 research report focused on women’s leadership in Michigan:
Of Michigan’s 77 Public Companies:
- Women directors – 21%
- Women Executive Officers – 19%, only 12% are named
- Women of Color Officers – 2%
- Five women-led publicly traded companies
Agents of Change:
- Build your network when you need it
- Build a network of people who don’t look like you
- Where there’s turmoil there’s opportunity
- Ask: Are we opening the conversation?