News, Upcoming Events, and Things to Know
Check out this week’s news, successes, happenings, and upcoming events from Ann Arbor SPARK. We call it Five Bullet Friday — a name inspired by Tim Ferris (thanks, Tim!) except ours almost always has more than five bullets.
- Site Selection Magazine did a profile on Michigan titled, Who are these guys? that featured Ann Arbor’s tech scene. Good overview of some of the stuff that happened last year, including May Mobility, KLA, Duo, Censys and others.
- Oxford Companies brings occupancy at 777 E. Eisenhower to 96%; shifts focus to area redevelopment.
- “We’re only one partner in this process, but as the largest private real estate owner, we have a responsibility to invest in this neighborhood,” said Hauptman. In conjunction with partners such as the City of Ann Arbor, the University of Michigan and Ann Arbor SPARK, the vision of future development in the area includes improved public transportation, increased pedestrian connectivity, and new workforce housing.
- Check out the latest on SPARK’s Job Portal here: Ann Arbor SPARK Job Portal Provides Targeted Talent Attraction Resources (our blog) – our portal had more than 71,000 views last year and we found nearly 250 people their jobs as a result of the portal.
- Ann Arbor SPARK’s Phil Santer Receives 2019 Economic Development Industry “40 Under 40” Award.
- Other news to know!
- Upcoming Event! February 7: Strategies for Hiring Graduates from Colleges and Universities in the Ann Arbor Area, an interactive lunch program focused on attracting and retaining talent from Ann Arbor area colleges and universities.
- Three Takeaways on Entrepreneurial Tips from Genomenon’s Mike Klein (MEDC content)
- Michigan leans on manufacturing history in
bidto become a hub for autonomous vehicles (Venture Beat) – “Detroit and Ann Arbor, Michigan are among the top five cities for jobs in the self-driving car industry … ”
- U-M offering free online course on self-driving vehicle technology in February (Click on Detroit)
- Universities showcase their autonomous efforts at NAIAS (Driven)
- Startup Roundup (xconomy) – Humanising Autonomy, Arbor Biosciences, RoadBotics, Mcity all in the summary.
- Ypsi-area high schoolers learn surprising lessons through robotics teams (Concentrate)
- Workit Health Announces Series A Investment
- SPARK investor and SPARK Executive Committee member Mickey Swortzel of New Eagle featured in the Wall Street Journal