April 2, 2020
We recognize the extreme and dire impact COVID-19 has had on the small business community. At this time, Ann Arbor SPARK is diligently working on efforts where we can be the most effective and helpful.
Ann Arbor SPARK compiled a list of resources available to businesses during the COVID-19 outbreak. Contact SPARK’s business development team for more information or to start working on any of the resources below. Please continue to check back for updates and more information.
Regional Small Business Loans and Grants
Washtenaw Small Business Resiliency Fund
Application Deadline: April 3
The Washtenaw Small Business Emergency Relief Fund was created to address the financial hardship due to the COVID-19 crisis. The fund provides working capital grants of up to $5,000 to qualifying small businesses, made possible by a $1 million gift from The Song Foundation.
Michigan Small Business Relief Program
Application Deadline: April 4
Thank you for your interest in the Michigan Small Business Relief Program. The overwhelming response to the funding application caused us to close the portal yesterday afternoon so that we could shore up internal resources. The application is now active again. We will email applicants a funding update by Friday, April 10.
Please Note: We do not have the resources to respond to individual inquiries on funding status.
Federal CARES Act
Additional support services are available to small businesses. Specifically, we encourage small businesses to access resources available through the Small Business Administration (SBA). The SBA recently expanded its loan programs under the federal CARES Act.
- Start here: https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/disaster-assistance
- Guidance is available here: https://sbdcmichigan.org/disaster-loan-help/
Business Resources and Assistance
Local, Regional & State
- State of Michigan’s COVID-19 Volunteer Website
- MEDC COVID-19 Resources
- Michigan SBDC COVID-19 Resources
- State of Michigan’s Coronavirus Resources
- Michigan Works! Southeast COVID-19 Resources
- Business Leaders for Michigan COVID-19 Business Response Center
- Small Business Association of Michigan Coronavirus Resources
- SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loan Application: Companies in Michigan can now apply for economic disaster loans. Please note: This website has experienced some difficulty. Please contact SPARK if you have questions about the SBA Loan application process.
- The Small Business Administration’s Guidance for Businesses and Employers to Plan and Respond to Coronavirus
- U.S. Chamber Coronavirus Resources + Coronavirus Response Toolkit
- U.S. State Department Travel Guidelines
- CDC Guidance for Businesses and Employers
- DoL Guidance for Preparing your workplace for COVID-19
Entrepreneur & Corporate
- Coping with COVID: A free webinar series featuring startup founders and venture capitalists from the region’s entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Michigan HR Group COVID-19 Employee-Employer Issues
- Bodman COVID-19 Response Team
- Butzel Long: Business interruptions due to coronavirus — Is it covered by insurance?
- Business Marketing during COVID-19 tips
- Give and Take launches Givitas, a new online community where Michigan startup leaders can exchange help, advice, connections, resources, and ideas.
- United Way of Washtenaw Launches COVID-19 Community Relief Fund
- Food Gatherers has a list of resources if you need food or want to contribute.
- Ann Arbor Public Schools COVID-19 updates and community resources.
- GetDowntown COVID-19 Resources & Updates
- Ann Arbor Distilling Company and Ugly Dog Distillery are distributing hand sanitizer while supplies last. Check out each company’s Facebook page for details and distribution times.
- Saline Main Street & Saline Area Social Services
Adapting to a New Work Environment
- Adapting to the Virtual Working World
- Free Remote Work Planning Resource
- Working Remotely: A Guide for Leaders
- Non-profit resources for remote working
- 12 Ways to Work Remotely During COVID-19
- Employer Considerations and Checklists:
Contingency Planning Checklist: Private Equity Portfolio Companies
CPA Australia: Contingency Plan Checklist
- Donate to the United Way of Washtenaw County COVID-19 Relief Fund
- Underground Printing Ann Arbor Hospitality Fundraiser
- World Health Organization (WHO) on the Coronavirus
- CDC Coronavirus Updates
- Michigan Medicine Coronavirus Updates
- St. Joe Coronavirus Updates
- Washtenaw County Coronavirus Information, including a running number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Washtenaw County.
- Livingston County Coronavirus Information, including a running number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Livingston County.