Michigan Celebrates Small Business (MCSB), a small business awards program that gives honor and recognition to both small business people and their advocates, has announced its 2019 awardees. This year, MCSB awarded 85 companies across 10 different categories.
Ann Arbor SPARK serves both Washtenaw and Livingston counties. In Washtenaw County, SPARK supports startups and established companies. Through its relationship with the Economic Development Council of Livingston County, Ann Arbor SPARK supports established businesses and helps attract new opportunities to Livingston County. Of the nine companies recognized by MCSB from Washtenaw and Livingston counties, Ann Arbor SPARK has had the privilege of building longstanding relationships with seven of the awardees. We are proud to extend our enthusiastic congratulations to the following companies.
Michigan SBDC Best Small Business of the Year Award
Akervall Technologies, Inc. (Saline) – Manufacturer of SISU Sports Mouthguards committed to revolutionizing the mouthguard industry by using disruptive technologies to create the strongest, most comfortable mouthguards in the world.
- Ann Arbor SPARK supported Akervall Technologies early on, with funding as well as incubation and business acceleration services in the organization’s formative years. Since then, SPARK has continued to provide support through its business referral and talent initiatives.
2019 Michigan 50 Companies to Watch and SmartZone Best Small Business of the Year
Groundspeed Analytics, Inc. (Ann Arbor) – A data science and AI company serving commercial property and casualty insurance carriers, brokers, and MGAs, with solutions that unlock the value of unstructured information and provide powerful predictive risk analytics.
- A graduate of the SPARK Central Innovation Center in 2017 and A2 Tech Trek participant for the past three years, Groundspeed has grown into a phenomenally successful and independent business with the ability to service retail insurance agents.
2019 Michigan 50 Companies to Watch
AdAdapted, Inc. (Ann Arbor) – A digital engagement and insights platform for CPG brands and agencies, offering the ability to directly target primary consumers in the apps they use to plan and shop.
- A current SPARK Central Innovation Client, AdAdapted has participated in several SPARK-sponsored programs, including the Eastern Michigan Digital Engagement Clinic summer internship program.
Genomenon, Inc. (Ann Arbor) – Revolutionizing the way genetic diagnoses and discoveries are made with Mastermind Genomic Search Engine, the world’s most comprehensive source of genomic evidence.
- Genonmenon has been a SPARK client since it spun out from the University of Michigan, applying for and receiving business accelerator grants funded by the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti SmartZone Local Development Finance Authority (LDFA).
SkySpecs (Ann Arbor) – The first and only provider of completely automated blade inspections using a drone and highly intuitive software that allows for repeatability, high-quality data, and safer inspections.
- Ann Arbor SPARK has worked with SkySpecs since its inception when it participated in Entrepreneur Boot Camp in 2012 and was a past tenant at the SPARK Central Innovation Center.
Michigan 50 Distinguished Alumni Award – Strategically Focused
MMI Engineered Solutions, Inc. (Saline) – A global leader in designing and manufacturing solutions that improve performance, reduce weight, and lower costs in OEM applications.
- Ann Arbor SPARK has been a partner of MMI Engineered Solutions, supporting its development and growth as a provider of custom engineered solutions for material handling applications in Saline.
Michigan 50 Distinguished Alumni Award – Most Engaged Workplace
Armor Protective Packaging (Howell) – Industrial corrosion prevention and removal specialists using VCI Nanotechnology with 40 years of industry experience.
- Ann Arbor SPARK and the Economic Development Council of Livingston County recently collaborated with Armor Protective Packaging on the incredibly successful Manufacturing Day 2018. In addition, we were excited to feature Armor Protective Packaging in this video about living and working in Livingston County.
Congratulations to all the winners.
Join the Celebration
Awardees will be honored during the annual gala on May 8 at the Breslin Center in East Lansing. Registration and tickets are available here.